I am so relieved to finally have Baby Fritz, my first great-nephew's infant seat finished. My niece is expecting in early December so I needed to get this project done. After looking for tutorials, I found this very good one from Make It And Love It and also purchased one from Puking Pastilles. Kayla's car seat was a different style but the principles of how to deconstruct and reconstruct were covered by these tutes.
It went smoothly except for the canopy. The fit was off on the side sections so I had to cut out a triangle and patch in a bigger piece. I think it's camoflaged pretty well.... bad joke :) The worst part was spending 5 hours ripping apart every seam and labeling each piece so I could make pattern pieces. I used my trusty old Kenmore to sew through the thick parts. You will need a heavy-duty sewing machine and sz 16 needles if using home-dec weight fabrics because some parts of the seat will be very thick. Also, purchase extra-wide bias tape. My tape was too narrow so I re-used some of the original binding.
I'm really happy with the final product. I can't wait to see pictures of Baby Fritz in his hunter orange & camo infant seat!