Facebook

Facebook
Follow on Facebook

Follow on Pinterest

About Me

My photo
Believer, Daughter, Wife, Mother, Sister, Aunt, Registered Nurse, Seamstress, Crafter, Housekeeper, Cook, Baker, Gardener, Reader, Keeper of the chickens, Goat Herder, Homesteader, Thrifty, Usually sane, Overworked, Mom of 3. Thanks for stopping by - I appreciate your comments! ~ Angie

Pinterest

Followers

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Mama's Ruffle Shoulder Bag & Tutorial

 
Mama's Ruffle Shoulder Bag & Tutorial
I've been wanting to make a ruffled shoulder bag but haven't found a perfect pattern that I wanted to pay for (I'm cheap!)  Instead, I came up with this simple pattern using a fat quarter pack I had in my stash.  Here's how it came together:
Supplies
7 fat quarters (FQ =18" x 21") or about 2 yards of fabric
fusible interfacing
magnetic snap closure
O-ring or D-ring or handle hardware (optional)
basic sewing notions 

Instructions
1. Cut fabric pieces and interfacing:

- Set aside one FQ for the outer bag and one FQ for the lining; cut interfacing for both outer & lining fabrics & fuse together.
- Handles / Key loop: one FQ - Cut 2 - 5" x 21" strips for longer handle section; Cut 2 - 5" x 10 1/2" for shorter handle section.  Cut 1 - 2 1/2" x 10" for key loop.  Cut interfacing for all handle pieces & fuse together.
- Pocket: one FQ - Cut 1 - 6" x 18".  Cut interfacing and fuse.
- Ruffles: I used 3 different FQ.  Cut a total of 12 - 3 1/2" x 18" strips.  If you want more ruffles, adjust the width smaller or layer them to get the look you want.
2.  Prepare the handles:  I like to get this out of the way first.  Press all handle pieces and key loop in half lengthwise.

Open and press both sides in toward the center crease.

Press center crease closed again.

Stitch 1/8” or as close as you can along each long side.

 
Sew O-Ring/D-Ring or Handle Hardware to one end of a short strip.  


Attach longer handle strip to ring.  Sew across strap about 1" below & above ring and set aside.
You can skip the rings and just make longer fabric strips for a shoulder bag or omit the short pieces for a handbag.

 Press Key Loop (2 1/2" x 10") as above and topstitch.  Set aside.

3.  Prepare the bag body pieces:
Fold main FQ and lining FQ in 1/2 so they measure 10 1/2" x 18"w with the fold at the bottom.

Measure in 2" from each top outside edge and mark.
 
Place ruler on outside edge of bottom and connect to mark on top of the piece; Cut.  Repeat with lining piece.



4.  Prepare Ruffle Stips:  Sew together 2 strips at their short ends to make pieces equalling 3 1/3" x 36"l.  
Serge or narrow hem both top and bottom of the ruffle strips.


Gather along top edge of ruffle strips.  

5. Placing your ruffles:
Measure down 2" from top edge of outer fabric and draw line across.  Measure down another 3" and draw line: another 3" down and draw a 3rd line across main fabric.


 Turn fabric over (or open piece) and repeat on opposite side of main fabric.


Place top ruffle wrong-side-up with gathered edge towards the pencil line.  The ruffle will be "resting" upside down on top of the line.  Pin in place.


 Repeat with other 2 ruffles; turn and repeat on the opposite side.


Stitch ruffles in place.  Press downward then topstitch.


  
Baste ruffles down along edges of bag; trim.


6.  Assembling Outer Bag:
Place bag with right-sides-together.  Pin along sides and sew.


Pinch down bottom corners to make a gusset.  Measure across 1 1/2", mark then sew across line.  
 
Trim corner off.  Turn bag right-side-out and set aside.


7.  Preparing the lining:
Sew the pocket first.  Fold in half to form 6" x 9" piece.  Sew around, leaving 3" opening to turn.  
 
Turn right-side-out, press.  Topstitch one long end.
Place pocket by measuring down 3" from top of bag and in 3 1/4" from each side (or center to your bag's measurements).  If you want two smaller pockets (good for a cell phone), measure center of pocket and draw a line.  Sew around outer edge of pocket and down center.

Place key loop by measuring in about 3" on opposite side of lining. Sew across.

Place lining with right-sides together.  Sew down one side.  On the other side, sew down 2-3", stop and reinforce.  Leave 4-5" open for turning.  Sew bottom 2-3" to corner.
 
Make 1 1/2" gussets in corners as above. Trim corner off.


Place the magnetic snap by finding the center of the lining, 2" down from the top edge.

Insert magnetic closure.
Repeat for other side of closure.

8.  Add the handles.
Measure in 2 1/2" from outer edge of outer bag.  Pin handles & baste in place.
 
9.  Putting it together:
Insert outer bag into lining with right-sides-together and wrong-sides out.  Pin top edge and sew around.


  
Turn bag right-side-out, bringing fabric through the opening in side of lining.


Topstitch the opening in the lining closed.


Press top of bag; topstitch.



Do a little happy dance, because you are done!  Please email me if you have questions or need clarification.  Pattern is for personal use only, please.   I'd love to see pictures of your bag!
  












giveaways






Creations by Kara







Photobucket


Photobucket

21 comments:

Becky said...

Wow! Your new bag is so cute. The tutorial is awesome. I especially love the "high tech" signage on "leave open for turning." ;-)

Shelley said...

Beautiful bag! Visiting from Friday Follow...I'm your newest follower! Love for you to come visit me :)

Have a great weekend!
~Shelley @ Shelley's Swag

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

WOW that is so cute! And I love all the ruffles! : )

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

I'm a sucker for anything with ruffles! Great fabric and a pretty new bag! Yay! :)

~Kim

Gigia said...

I am a new follower and I am sharing your link now on: www.corsidicucito.commercialinelmondo.it
If you disagree or don't like it please let me know and I will remove it.
info@commercialinelmondo.it

Fawnda@Fireflies and Jellybeans said...

I just wanted to let you know that I featured you here:

http://firefliesandjellybeans.blogspot.com/2010/03/sunday-spotlight-soys-favorites.html

Rachelle said...

Great tutorial!

Rachelle

WBall said...

I just happened into your site via Simplicity.com and I'm glad I did. Love the ruffled bag and the pouches and would love to be the winner of one of the pouches. I will definitely be visiting your site now that I've found it. Oh, and I am now a follower.

Cheers

email

ballw@nb.sympatico.ca

creativejewishmom said...

Great tutorial! I'd love it if you'd drop by my blog linking party every Sunday (thru Tues)@creativejewishmom.com Hope to see you there!

Kathryn said...

Cute!

creativejewishmom said...

Thanks so much for dropping by Craft Schooling Sunday and for posting the badge! I hope to see you every week!
All the best, Sara

Maria@ChicaBellaCrafts said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial. The purse came out so cute, I can't wait to try the technique on an apron I've been wanting to make. I'll post the link when I finally get around to making it.

Alisa said...

beautiful bag! Great tutorial -thanks so much :-)

Melissa said...

This bag is so cute! Thanks for showing us how to make our own. Great job!

Jerri at Simply Sweet Home said...

Hi. Just wanted to stop by again and let you know that I'll be featuring your bag for this Friday's event. Thanks again for linking up!

Angie@treasures for tots said...

Thank you for sharing your awesome project at Thursday’s Treasures last week! Come share your crafty projects in this week’s Thursday’s Treasures too!
http://treasuresfortots.blogspot.com/2010/03/thursdays-treasures-week-13.html

Amy @ Positively Splendid said...

This is marvelous!! I need to bookmark this to come back to when I get a chance!

By the way, I was tickled pink when I saw you had linked the tutorial for my Pebbles Skirt on Sew, Mama, Sew! I am so glad you like it, and I would love to see your creation if you decide to give it a whirl. :)

Misty @Creative Itch said...

What a cute bag...I love the ruffles!! Thanks for linking @Creative Itch's "Sew Cute Tuesday"!!

Kat @ Black Kats Design said...

What a cute purse! I love the ruffles and how big it is. You did such a nice job explaining it. Thank you!

Rosies said...

That is so cute! I will for sure have to make one!

Anonymous said...

OMG!! This is too cute!! Thanks so much for sharing.