Facebook

Facebook
Follow on Facebook

Follow on Pinterest

About Me

My photo
Believer, Daughter, Wife, Mother, Sister, Aunt, Registered Nurse, Seamstress, Crafter, Housekeeper, Cook, Baker, Gardener, Reader, Keeper of the chickens, Goat Herder, Homesteader, Thrifty, Usually sane, Overworked, Mom of 3. Thanks for stopping by - I appreciate your comments! ~ Angie

Pinterest

Followers

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Weekender Tote Sew-Along Results


Sew Spoiled blog is hosting a sew-along for her Weekender Tote pattern through the month of May (pattern still available free on her blog!).  I'm a little ahead of the pack and finished my bag last weekend.  It's wonderful as a hip tote or would make a fantastic diaper bag by adding another pocket. I added a burnt flower corsage and think it's great!  On the inside, I also added a little loop to hook my keys on.  No more searching for keys!

I did encounter a few problems in my sewing;  possibly my error in cutting but I thought I had them all cut correctly.  These were minor issues and no problem for intermediate sewers to remedy. 
- Top band was too large for my pleated panels.  I had to cut off about 2 inches, then it matched well.

- Lining top was smaller than my outer bag top, so I trimmed down the outer bag to make them fit nicely.

-Bottom panel:  Just a pet-peeve of mine, but I do not like sewing bag bottom panels.  I find it difficult to get the corners crisp without folds or rounding.  I would much prefer to add 2 inches to the length of the main panels and add gusset corners like I did in Mama's Ruffle Shoulder Bag (example below).  The separate bottom panel does allow you to add a contrasting fabric on the bottom if you choose, but for me gussets are faster and easier.

I would recommend this pattern for intermediate to advanced sewers.  If you've sewn a handbag before you will do fine, but this could be confusing or intimidating for a newbie.  Instructions were good and the pictures helpful.  This is a wonderful free pattern, so get it while you still can!  Other Sew Spoiled patterns are available at her Etsy shop Sew Spoiled.  Her ladybug bags are darling and I really like the Mommy & Me backpacks.  More for my Wish List!

I'm on to my next sew-along , {Make} A Bag Sew Along.  Looks like fun!
Photo from Make blog




Visit tatertotsandjello.com

10 comments:

Alisa said...

very cute, looks like you did a really nice job. I like your fabric choices!

Carol, The Answer Is Chocolate said...

Love the black and white since those are my wardrobe staples. Can't sew very well but I do want to try and make some totes. Yours turned out beautiful!

concretenprimroses said...

Very striking! Good fabric choices.
Kathy

Em said...

Now I can make a bag for me, too! Thanks for sharing!

Traci Michele said...

Thanks for stopping by Ordinary Inspirations and entering the giveaway.

I'm now following your blog :-)

Anonymous said...

Great idea adding a loop for your keys! Just what I need.

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} said...

Thanks for showing us your great bag! I loved the colors you used and the hints on the pattern. It turned out so cute!

Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique said...

The bag looks great and i need to get started on mine ASAP will try on work on this soon!

Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique

Dawn said...

I have this pattern and I cant wait to make it! Thank you for showing yours!!

Diane said...

I love totes and this one is adorable.

Thanks for the tut.

I came here via Weekend Wrapup blog party. Hope you can stop by and see me sometimes over at Pittypat Paperie.