Facebook

Facebook
Follow on Facebook

Follow on Pinterest

About Me

My photo
Believer, Daughter, Wife, Mother, Sister, Aunt, Registered Nurse, Seamstress, Crafter, Housekeeper, Cook, Baker, Gardener, Reader, Keeper of the chickens, Goat Herder, Homesteader, Thrifty, Usually sane, Overworked, Mom of 3. Thanks for stopping by - I appreciate your comments! ~ Angie

Pinterest

Followers

Monday, April 25, 2011

My Projects~Extreme Makeover: Fabric Edition Week 1




Did you guess which projects were mine?  
Our theme for week 1 was Wildflowers & Whimsy...I'm short on wildflowers but think I caught some whimsy in my sewing this week.

For starters, I have had this home dec fabric for over a year, waiting to be sewn into curtains for my daughters' room.  It's bright, fun colors made me think 'Modern Whimsy.' Using the fabulous tab-top lined curtain tutorial here, I've sewn curtains for my family, living, bedroom and now girls' room.   They are fully lined and used 8 yds of 54" fabric.

They have also been needing a duvet cover, so I pieced together the rest of my curtain fabric, three coordinating quilting fabrics, and a bed sheet from my stash using a total of 9.5 yd of 44" fabric and 4 yd of 54" fabric in this piece.


For some extra whimsy, I used the scraps to make a reversible pennant and added "Dream" since I figuratively want my girls to dream big and literally wish them sweet dreams.  I was inspired by this tute from Polka Dot Chair blog. The pennant used 1 yd of 44" fabric and a pack of bias tape.


I've been wanting some summer dresses, so I made this easy, flowing sundress in a free-spirited, blue-toned knit.  It's simply a tube with shirring around the chest and low-waist.  I added straps and a coordinating wide belt in turqoise, for a total of 2 yds of 54" fabric.  I've worked every day this week and am grumpy, so no photos of mama in this little number!


During our twice-yearly trip to Wal-Mart last weekend, I found this juniors t-shirt for $1.00.  I saw potential and brought it home to cut off the long sleeves to short, cut some length off and added a knit bubble skirt.  I'd recently seen this tutorial from The Cottage Home and used the technique for this dress. Instead of attaching the waistband, you attach the skirt directly to the shirt. Easy peasy! Add a fabric pom-pom pin and sash belt and you have a whimsy-chic dress your big girl loves! I don't count the t-shirt yardage since it wasn't really altered much but used 1 yd of 54" fabric in the skirt & accessories.



If you haven't been counting, in week one I used a grand total of 15 yards of 54" fabric and 10.5 yd of 44" fabrics this week!  My total of 25.5 yards placed me in first for total yardage for week one :)  I'm working all week and on call, so I don't think I'll be doing much sewing this week, but I'll give it my best.  Hope you follow along!

3 comments:

Bea said...

Holy, moly. 25.5 yards?! But, I bet that didn't even make a dent in your stash ;-)
I love the tough chick dress and that both your dresses are matching. Can we get a pic of you waering yours, too? I mean, when you are not "grumpy" anymore :)
Can't wait to see what you'll manage to make this week.

Anonymous said...

I was amazed at the amount of fabric you used!!! The "modern whimsy" is perfect. Doesn't it feel good to get so much accomplished? :)

A.Vang said...

Hi I am so excited to see what you come up with in the weeks to come! I glanced through your blog and you are one amazing lady!