My kids are excited for Dr. Seuss' birthday and Read Across America Day, March 2. Their school is providing green eggs & ham for breakfast and inviting families to come participate in reading programs that day. They have been encouraged to dress like their favorite Dr. Seuss character, so Drew decided he wanted a Cat in the Hat striped hat. Here's the picture I used for my replica:
Mama Lusco's Dr. Seuss Hat Tutorial/Pattern
fits most elementary age - small adult heads
1/2 yd red felt
1/2 yd white felt
1/2 yd lining fabric ( I used part of a pillowcase)Sewing notions inclucing: Sewing machine, Thread (red recommended), Scissors, Pins, Rotary cutter & mat (recommended)
Pattern pieces for hat top and hat brim:
Dr. Seuss Hat Top
Dr. Seuss Hat Brim
Please add 1/4" seam allowance around pattern pieces
1. Cut pieces for hat body: Cut 3 - 3"w x 22"l from Red Felt
Cut 2 - 3"w x 22"l from White Felt
(Cut lining fabric after above pieces sewn together to form hat body)
2. Starting with a strip of red felt, sew with right sides together alternating between red & white strips.
3. Place hat body onto lining fabric as a template and cut out lining. Baste around all edges, connecting hat body to hat liner. With right sides of hat together, sew up side seam. You now have a tube shape for the completed hat body.
4. Using Hat Top pattern piece, cut 1 Red Felt and 1 lining fabric. Baste around edge.
5. Turn hat body with liner out and pin to hat top with liner up. Sew around, connecting hat top to hat body.
6. Cut out Hat Brim pieces: 2 - White Felt. (see picture above in step 4)
( I did not have enough white felt, so I cut 1 piece red and 1 piece white)
Place right sides together and sew around outside edge. Turn right-side-out and baste around inside edge.
7. With hat and brim right-side-together, pin brim to hat and sew around.
8. (Optional) Trim seams down to about 1/8" and overcast or serge.
Put on your hat and grab a good book!
Please forgive any errors or omissions in this tutorial. Email me with questions or suggestions. Pattern is for personal use only.