Facebook

Facebook
Follow on Facebook

Follow on Pinterest

About Me

My photo
Believer, Daughter, Wife, Mother, Sister, Aunt, Registered Nurse, Seamstress, Crafter, Housekeeper, Cook, Baker, Gardener, Reader, Keeper of the chickens, Goat Herder, Homesteader, Thrifty, Usually sane, Overworked, Mom of 3. Thanks for stopping by - I appreciate your comments! ~ Angie

Pinterest

Followers

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Trimmed With Love Birthday Dress


I have a new favorite creation, the Birthday Dress. This is a combination of ideas I've had brewing with a great result! Inspired by Courtney Courtney and Lil Blue Boo's flutter sleeves and sometimes full skirts, I drafted the pattern pieces for this one and came pretty close to what I wanted.  Mallory was so excited to try it on and even found gold shiny pumps for the occasion!

I tried a few new techniques on this dress.  For starters, I bought a vinyl decal and ironed it on my bodice.  This was regular-old wall vinyl so I'm not sure how it will wash but it looks great for now.  I'm planning to wash this one on delicate and line dry, so I'm optimistic it will work okay.  This was also my first time using spray starch to firm up my knits.  The striped knit is lightweight (and only $1.50/yard at Walmart!) and the spray starch did help unroll the edges and prevent the problem of my machines needles "eating" the lighter knit.  I used Heat n' Bond lite to cut out the circle applique and 3 applique - my first time using a knit for applique.  I was a little unsure if it would work because the knit is so light, but it cut and sewed wonderfully!  The number '3' I cut freehand using the inner circle from the front applique. The bodice is from my re-use t-shirt bag and ribbon is a remnant, so I had it all in my stash and it cost a total of $2.75 to make! 

For extra cuteness, I added lavender grossgrain ribbon trim to the flutter sleeves and bottom trim.   I really like the extra body the ribbon gives the sleeves and it adds fullness to the skirt.  Perfect for twirling!  To finish the ribbon trim I used a decorative stitch.

Mally is not at all modest yet, so I also made a pair of matching stripey shorts to wear underneath.  She refused to take these off and is napping in them now, so pictures of the bloomers will have to wait.  Mission:  Birthday Dress - accomplished!
Linked to:
Brown Paper Packages Wardrobe Wednesday.
Lilac Lane Trimmed With Love
Sumo's Sweet Stuff  Market Yourself Monday
Join us Saturdays at tatertotsandjello.com for the weekend wrap up party!

5 comments:

Melissa @Lilac Lane said...

This is too cute! Thanks for entering the contest and posting about it.

Emily said...

Too cute!! I'll have to remember this for my girls' b-days!

Robin Ange said...

Love this. I am featuring it on my T-Shirt Tuesday feature on my blog...www.thetshirtdiaries.com

-Robin

AUDRA said...

So fun!

I'd love if you could link up this project to Socialize with me Monday til Sunday! :)

http://simpsonizedcraftsandthensome.blogspot.com/2010/06/socialize-with-me-monday-til-sunday.html

Bea said...

Wow, I have missed so much the last few weeks. This dress is soooo cute! I absolutely adore it. wonderful job.